Monday, June 21, 2010

A Pox On Jargon

Please note: I will never, ever describe the color of anything as a "colorway".

Yee gawds, save me from unnecessary jargon.

I do not know when it became hip to describe one's yarn choice as a "colorway" -- perhaps when knitting became hip (again; is this the 2nd or 3rd time in my life?).

I hate jargon; it is silly and exclusionary.

If we love our craft, we should make it as accessible as possible, including the ways in which we talk and write about it.

Besides, it would truly be teh stoopid to say I knit Niebling patterns with "cotton sewing thread in a white colorway".

2 comments:

  1. Hey, maybe this blog could have a companion - The Observant Obsessive (Obsessive Observer)?

    I know somebody who's gonna like this blog, so don't stop posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late to the party, but "colorway" kinda makes sense when you consider there may be several colors involved. IMO anyway. It's a weird jargon, but for multicolor or multi tonal yarn, it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete